"The beauty and fragility of our ocean's coral reef systems has come under attack by both man and nature. The photos I take are my way of honoring this extraordinary environment, while at the same time creating a visual tribute for all to enjoy. Photography is an art form that speaks through its subject matter, however the art of photography is more than subject matter, lighting and exposure. It relies on the artist's "eye" and sense of composition. Without that, all you have is a picture."
©2006 Photo by Jeff Byne
An accomplished divemaster, Karen is a regular off the shores of Palm Beach and the Caribbean. She has studied art and photography at the University of Minnesota, Florida International University and with various private artists. Her move into professional underwater photography was prompted by accolades she received after displaying and selling photos from professional offices in her area. Karen's use of masterful composition, blending of vibrant colors and unique subject matter has garnered her awards from local galleries and national publications.
Making her move into digital, underwater photography, Karen's emphasis has shifted to the use of ambient light and color correction to intensify the impact of her work. The results are stunning, digital images that compliment her earlier works in film and slides.
Karen's newest artwork reflects her interest in shapes, shadows and highlights. "Kseapix" captures nature creating its own abstractions. Now available in limited editions, Kseapix will soon become the forerunner in underwater digital imagery.
A native of Minneapolis, Minnesota, Karen has been a Floridian since 1970. She now lives in Palm Beach Gardens with her blue and gold macaw, Scottie and Bedlington Terrier Princess ?Chewie? Chewbarka.
Art Shows and Exhibitions:
- 2008: Seacoast National Bank Community Calendar, "Mother and Child.(Still to be printed) view
- 2006 AE Bean Backus Gallery, Ft. Pierce, FL Through the Eye of the Camera 11th Anual Juried Competition.
1st place "Symbiosis" view
Award of Merit "Soft Coral Ledge" view
- 2004 - 53rd Annual Boca Raton Museum of Art's All Florida Juried Competition and Exhibition.
- 2004 Honorable Mention: "Grouper Under Bait Fish Arch", Martin County Juried Art Show in Stuart, Florida.
- The Nature Conservancy,
Florida Chapter's 40th Photo contest, Third Place. Exhibited
at Disney's Wilderness Preserve, Kissimmee, Florida fall 2001.
- AE "Bean" Backus Gallery,
Ft. Pierce, FL. "Through the Eyes of the Camera" May
2000, 2001, 2002, and November 2003 Exhibit and contest.
Honorable mentions for "Soft Coral Forest" and "Night Life".
- Martin County Cultural Center,
The New Millennium Juried Art Show and Exhibit, January
- Boca Raton Museum of Art,
49th Annual All Florida Juried Competition and Exhibition.
May - July, 2000
- March 2007 Jupiter Magazine, Beneath the surface: Jupiter's best kept secret.
- December 2006 Cover photo for Velador, The newsletter for the Caribbean Conservation Corporation Newsletter.
- 2003 Calendar of the Dominican
- Martin County Boy's and
Girl's Club 2002 Gala Invitations and Program.
- National Resources Defense
Fund, Newsletter February 2002.
- "The Blue", by Charles Bartholomay,
front cover photograph. Vantage Publications, December
- Photographer's Forum Magazine,
finalist Spring 2000 Contest.
Published in The Best of Photography 2000 by Photographer's
Forum and Serbin Communications.
- PADI Project Aware brochure, "Caring
Enough to Commit", Brochure cover 2000.
- Ocean Realm, Marine Photo
Contest, Summer 2000:
"Oceanica Conservation Award",
- Apogee Photo Magazine: "Small
World" Winners #8